MathType 7 Windows and Mac
- Windows: Microsoft (MS) Windows 7, 8/8.1 (not Windows RT), and 10.
MathType Desktop will run on Microsoft Surface Pro, Surface Pro 2, Surface 3, and Surface 3 Pro tablets. MathType Desktop will not run on Surface RT, Surface, and Surface 2 tablets. If in doubt, check the version of Windows your tablet is running. If it is running Windows RT, you cannot use MathType Desktop with it. If it is running MS Windows 10 or any of the other supported versions of Windows, MathType Desktop will work with it.
- Mac: Mac OS X Yosemite (10.10) or later, including macOS High Sierra (Version 10.13)
- 35 MB free hard disk space.
- MathType is not RAM-intensive so listing its requirements is not necessary.
Microsoft Office compatibility
- Windows: MS Office 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 for Windows, including MS Office 365.
- MS Office RT: MathType Desktop equations cannot be edited in these MS Office versions but equations created in supported versions of MS Office will display and print.
- Mac: MS Office 2011 and 2016 for Mac, including MS Office 365.
- Note 1: If you are running MS Office 2011 on macOS 10.13 High Sierra, please note that Apple does not support this configuration. MathType Desktop will only work with MS Office 2011 versions 14.7.4 and earlier on High Sierra.
- Note 2: If you are running MS Office 365, please note that MathType Desktop only supports versions 15.41 and later.
- Earlier versions of MathType Desktop will work with MS Office 2008 for Mac, but we are only able to provide limited technical support when using MathType Desktop with this version of MS Office.
- MS Office Online: MathType 7 and later includes an Add-in which works with Microsoft Office Online.
- MS Office for iPad: MathType Add-in for MS Office works on the iPad MS Office Apps.
- MS Office 64- and 32-bit: MathType Desktop is compatible with both 64- and 32-bit versions of MS Office.