Yes, EndNote X7, X8 and EndNote X9 Cite While You Write (CWYW) both are compatible with Office 365 or MS Word 365. Office 365 is a subscription plan for the cloud/Online application. This subscription allows you to download MS Office 2016 or MS Word 2016 (or lower version). Login to your Office 365 account and download the Office 2016 (or lower version) and install it. Make sure you also have the latest patches and updates. After you have installed Office 2016 follow either of these two paths:
If you haven't installed EndNote X7, X8 or EndNote X9. Start the setup and install. Update to the latest version (Windows: Help > Check for Updates / Mac: EndNote > Check for Updates).
If you already have installed EndNote X7, X8 or EndNote X9 before installing Office 2016 (or lower version), just run 'Configure EndNote' (Windows) or 'EndNote customizer' (Mac).
Always close all MS Office applications (MS Word, Outlook, Excel etc.)
- Browse to the EndNote Program Files folder:
64-bit Machines: C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X7\
C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X8\
C:\Program Files (x86)\EndNote X9\
32-bit Machines: C:\Program Files\EndNote X7\
C:\Program Files\EndNote X8\
- C:\Program Files\EndNote X9\
- Run the 'Configure EndNote.exe' utility.
- Make sure 'Configure EndNote components' is selected and click Next.
- Select Cite While You Write add-in for Microsoft Office and click Next.
- Click Finish.
- Click the EndNote menu and select 'Customizer'.
- Check the box in front of the 'Cite While You Write' option.
- Click next until the Customizer is finished. Open a library.